Film animation innovation has make some amazing progress following the beginning of hand-drawn kid’s shows. The systems utilized by artists to breath life into characters have enhanced significantly throughout the years, and not at all like conventional activity, which made its introduction in 1906 and made the hallucination of development through edge by-edge control of drawings and outlines, most artists today utilize PCs to produce three-dimensional pictures.
Animation Institution in Kerala
Pixar, together with Disney, was the first organization to make a full length PC created activity, with Toy Story in 1995. DreamWorks followed in 2001 with Shrek, which earned $484.4 million at the overall film industry, and hardened PC movement as a standout amongst the most advanced and emotive study types of animation
While PCs have helped illustrators in their endeavors for a considerable length of time, the coming of PC liveliness was a defining moment as far as the kind of innovation activity studios expected to utilize. Until then, the greater part of their liveliness could be completed on workstations (effective desktop PCs), however PC produced (CG) pictures make such a lot of information that activity organizations now need to manufacture their own server farms keeping in mind the end goal to handle it all.
These server farms contain many intense servers, which give boundless measures of preparing force, empowering CG movement studios – of all shapes and sizes – to work with extensive, complex datasets and unpredictable 3D models. HP is one of the fundamental suppliers of server farm foundation, close by Dell and Cisco, and united some of its movement studio clients at the Cannes Film Festival to examine the significance of innovation to their organization
Instructions to Train Your Dragon 2
With a specific end goal to bolster this, DreamWorks has 20,000 processing centers in HP servers over three server farms far and wide. Swanborg said that HP’s most recent ‘Gen 8’ servers are 40 for every penny speedier than the past era, which signifies “40 for each penny more pixels, 40 for each penny sooner”. The organization additionally has limit in a fourth “cloud” server farm, which is possessed and controlled by HP.
“We are no more living in a period in which you need to have all the process assets you require under your own particular rooftop,” said Swanborg.
“We’re an inventive undertaking and inventiveness is not straight – you have minutes when things are working in the meantime, and afterward you have minutes when you’re reexamining and re-arranging. On the off chance that we needed to construct to the top, we would need to about twofold our figure foundation to oblige those minutes, yet we don’t need to do that, in light of the fact that we have HP Cloud, so when we have those snippets of motivation, we are not compelled by innovation.”
HP said that innovation not just has an imperative part in putting away and preparing information, however in examining it. David Chalmers, boss innovation officer at HP’s European Enterprise Group, said that film studios can profit by utilizing apparatuses like HP Autonomy to direct assessment investigation, to pick up understanding into how viewers are reacting to their movies.
“It used to be you’d go to a screening and after that fill in a little card. The film studios would take those little cards and attempt and work out whether they thought it would be a hit or not,” said Chalmers.
“Presently we can utilize the Autonomy innovation to construct an examination device to take a gander at online networking yield. What we’ve demonstrated as of now is that in right on time eras of that style of examination, we are at any rate as great at anticipating as the way they used to do it before
Statistics reveals that hearing loss is quite common in India. There are more than 60 million people suffering from hearing troubles. While a majority of them can restore the capability of hearing by external aids, lack of awareness and affordability issues force them live with the disparity. There are several hospitals offering good quality hearing aids in Bangaloreat an affordable price.
Types of hearing loss
Broadly hearing loss is classified in two categories.
Sensory neural hearing loss: When there is a problem in the cochlear nerve, brain stem, or cochlea; there is a loss of impulses in the sensory-neural system. Sometimes, there are abnormal impulses. In both the cases, patients can’t hear properly. Sometimes ageing process affects the nerves, and there is deterioration in hearing capacity. Tinnitus is also a major cause of hearing loss where there is a hissing or whistling sound felt in the ear even when there is a total silence. In some cases, trauma, accidents, infections, and other reasons like Acoustic Neuroma also cause sensory hearing loss.
Conductive hearing loss: This hearing loss occurs when the sound waves from the external ear can’t traverse through the middle air. Thus, the brain doesn’t get signals of sound waves, and patients can’t hear. Excessive wax in the ears, infection, traumatic conditions, or diseases like Otitis Externa can cause this type of hearing loss. Good quality hearing aids in Bangalore offer a remedy for conductive hearing loss.
Types of hearing aids
Though hearing aids exist from centuries, modern technology made a revolutionary change in the usability, applicability and convenience. Today we have quite effective hearing aids that can be worn in such a way that they are invisible to others. Two types of aids are used for correcting hearing loss.
External hearing aids: External devices are placed behind the ear or inside the external ear. They amplify the sound waves so that they can reach to the middle ear effectively. The brain can interpret the magnified sound waves clearly, and patients hear the sound. However, these aids are not very effective when the hearing loss is severe.
Internal or implantable aids: They are also called cochlear implants. These are special devices that stimulate the auditory cells and provide the sense of hearing to the brain. These implants are highly effective in the case of Neurosensory hearing loss. The results so far have been quite good even in kids who suffer from loss of hearing by birth.
HTMA is a safe and non-invasive test to measure the levels and comparative ratios of nutrients and toxic minerals found in the hair.It is a screening test to measure the levels of 37 minerals in the hair tissue.
It provides valuable health information often not revealed in standard blood and urine tests.HTMA has been globally accepted by Doctors, Naturopaths and Nutritional therapists as one of the most valuable tool for everyday preventive healthcare
Dr. Apoorva Shah, Founder, RICHFEEL Health and Beauty Private Limited, India?s first certified trichologists and beauty physician says, ?Richfeel has always introduced innovative products after intensive and extensive R&D to give optimum value to our customers?.
Minerals are equally important to nutrition as vitamins. Nutrition is not just vital to your overall health, but is important to the health of your hair as well. While our bodies need a variety of vitamins and minerals to support certain functions, there are specific ones that will promote healthy hair.
The hair is thus a reflection of your overall health and nowadays with consumers becoming more and more aware about their personal health and beauty, HTMA becomes a requirement. By interpreting the hair mineral test properly, one can construct a biochemical picture of the way the body is going to respond to stress.
How HTMA is useful to consumers??
HTMA could now be a part of your regular annual health check up. If you have problems related to hair that are not getting treated, HTMA can tell you the reason for the same and you could take preventive treatments.It will also help you to lead a healthy life and affect your lifestyle by keeping a regular check on your body mineral/ nutrient composition.
Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis is a screening test to measure the levels of 37 minerals in the hair tissue. Over the last 15 years, HTMA has been an effective analytical test to measure the mineral content of the hair and body in the United States of America.
The earliest form of communication germinated from the necessity of human beings to convey their messages. Under the primitive circumstances, communication was local and was limited to voice signals and gestures that can be heard and viewed within the range of hearing and eyesight. These communications were also based on protocols and were direct. The protocols were the rules that were agreed upon by community members to be used for particular purposes. For example, hunters of a certain community would generate certain shrill and loud noises to alert each other about an approaching prey, while the signals for gathering at a particular location were a different one.
From the above scenario, few things should be clear. For communication, few things are absolutely necessary – a language, some predefined protocols, a processor cum controller (in this case, brain) to prompt the communicator when to communicate, an instrument to generate and transmit the message (vocal cord/hand), a form of the message (voice/noise/gestures), a medium (air/vacuum), an instrument to receive the message (eye/ear), an instrument to decode/interpret and process the received message (brain). The constraint in this scheme was that the messages were not universal in nature and were heavily dependent on physical capabilities and natural conditions.
It’s funny to notice that only the variable values have changed in the modern form of computer based communication, the variables have remained the same. For example, the language for all computers in this world is the binary language, protocols are generally defined by IEEE, every computer has a microprocessor, ports are there to transmit and receive the messages, the form is electrical signal, and the medium is wire or wireless. There has been no radical paradigm shift in the way we communicate. All the changes have been superficial in nature and the only change that has taken place is that the distance and certainty of communication has increased to some extent.
Now, after discussing the past and the present of communication technology, it is time we concentrate on the future of communication. In the future also, 3 things will remain constant – a transmitter/receiver, a processor/decode/interpreter at both ends and a form of message. The other things will either become useless or or will merged to form a single entity or hooked along with the main three ones.
In the future, communication will be based on brain waves. Human brains will be tuned to transmit and receive brain waves for any kind of communication. This will nullify the cost of physical infrastructure and the communication will be much more effective, given that human brain is the most powerful and complicated instrument human beings can ever build. It might seem to be an outrageous comment to AI scientists, but the fact is that no one can produce anything more powerful than their brain. The intensity f thoughts and the concentration level will be varied for making the communication more profound and distant.
Electronics Engineering Technology distance learning courses are flourishing, making use of the low entry-level requirement of a 2-year Associate Degree to become an Engineering Technician, and the further career advancement to an Engineering Technologist (or Applied Engineer) possible in the field by pursuing a 4-year Bachelors Degree. Among all Technicians and Technologists working in USA, Electrical and Electronics Engineering professionals make up more than one-third, which is a clear indication for their demand. And this demand is nowadays driven more by the high-tech industry’s need for Electronics Engineering Technicians, rather than the conventional industries’ need for Electrical Engineering Technicians.
Why Electronics Engineering Technology?
All of today’s booming industrial sectors like telecommunications, medical equipment, control systems, automotive systems, navigational systems, and of course, the consumer appliances sector are bringing out everything from mobile phones to home theatres, and require expertise in Electronics Engineering more than anything else, which explains the demand for Electronics Engineering professionals.
However, to attempt the field through an Engineering Degree can be taxing to those students who are not interested in taking advanced level mathematics (calculus) courses that an Engineering Degree requires, or to endure its long 4-year time frame. For such students, Electronics Engineering Technology is a great option, with its stress on applied or hands-on Electronics Engineering rather than the mathematics-dense and research-oriented Electronics Engineering. The time frame also is much shorter, with an Electronics Engineering Technician requiring only a 2-year Associate Degree to enter the field.
The job opportunities too are tilted in favor of Electronics Engineering Technicians when compared with Electronics Engineers; there are 182,000 Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technicians working in USA, compared with only 143,000 Electronics Engineers. The only drawbacks – a lower level in the hierarchy and the lower starting salaries than Electronics Engineers – can be overcome in the long run, since interested Electronics Engineering Technicians can study further for a 4-year Bachelors Degree, thus qualifying for the senior position of Electronics Engineering Technologist, who enjoys a position and salary comparable to Electronics Engineers. Average salary for Electronics Engineering Senior Technicians / Technologists is US $46,000, very comparable to salaries for Electronics Engineers at US $52,000.
Why Electronics Engineering Technology Distance Learning?
It is estimated that job opportunities for Electronics Engineering Technicians and Technologists would grow at up to 17% every year, for nearly the next 10 years. The requirement of an Associate Degree for entering the field is a relatively recent phenomenon, and a significant percentage of working Electronics Engineering Technicians doesn’t have such a formal degree. The industry preference to degree holders is encouraging such working professionals to get an Associate Degree, and electronics engineering technology distance learning becomes the natural choice. Also, due to the boom in the sector, those already having an Associate Degree will go for a Bachelors Degree so that they can work as a Technologist. And, of course, the growth prospects in the sector are attracting working professionals from other fields to Electronics Engineering Technology. These three factors are driving the huge demand for electronics engineering technology distance learning courses.
Earlier, there were technological hindrances to deliver such a hands-on course through a distance or online model. However, with the development of state-of-the-art systems like National Instruments’ LabVIEW/ELVIS (Educational Laboratory Virtual Instrumentation Suite), which can be used by remote students through a web browser, to virtually perform any electronics experiment, the demand for Electronics Engineering Distance Learning courses are at an all-time high.
Universities and Colleges Offering Electronics Engineering Technology Distance Learning
Electronics engineering technology distance learning courses offer both 2-year Associate and 4-year Bachelors Degrees. While Community Colleges and Institutes dominate the Associate Degree scene, Universities and Polytechnics are the primary sources for Bachelors Degrees. While searching for electronics engineering technology distance learning courses, it should be kept in mind that many US institutions still call the subject Electrical Engineering Technology.
Many Community Colleges and Institutes offer 2-year Associate Degrees for electronics engineering technology distance learning, but fully accredited courses are fewer. Whether for employment as an Electronics Engineering Technician or for further pursuance of a Bachelors Degree, it is always better to go for an accredited course. Cleveland Institute of Electronics (CIE), Penn Foster Career School, and Grantham University are three institutions that offer accredited Associate Degrees in the subject.
CIE’s Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Electronics Engineering Technology boasts of many unique features. Designed from the ground up as a distance learning course, rather than an online adaptation of a regular course, the CIE A.A.S. provides everything that an electronics engineering technology distance learning student might require, in a packaged fashion – complete with printed courseware for over 250 self-paced lessons, videos, and detailed instructions for the over 300 hands-on lab experiments. The only thing missing will be access to an Oscilloscope, and the CIE Bookstore even sells Oscilloscopes at discounted prices to its students! One-to-one instructor support is always available for students. Even the exams can be taken online. A really unique feature of the course is that interested and capable students can complete the course in half or even quarter time, and need only pay for that!
Penn Foster Career School offers an Associate in Specialized Technology (AST) in Electronics Technology, that can be completed fully online, with access to an internet-connected computer being the only requirement. Tuition includes well-written and amply-illustrated printed courseware, tools and equipment for experiments, and unlimited instructor support through website, phone, email, and regular mail. Online open-book exams and end-of-semester proctored exams are other features of this course. The course is self-paced, with longer than 2-year durations allowed.
Grantham University offers an Associate of Science (AS) in Electronics Engineering Technology through the distance mode. The tuition package for the course includes textbooks, lesson guides, grading of all tests, mailing of materials and graded tests from the college, consultation with instructors, and required software. Proctored exams are conducted at the end of every semester, which lend more credibility to this course. Consultation with instructors is available through phone, fax, email, and regular mail. To better facilitate the distance mode of the course, Grantham University even provides a discounted option for its students to buy computers from Dell. However, the main advantage of this course is that full credit transfer is possible to Grantham’s Bachelors Degree in the subject. Grantham is especially popular with military students.
When it comes to Bachelors Degrees for electronics engineering technology distance learning, even courses with accreditation from the Technology Accreditation Commission (TAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering Technology (ABET) are available.
Old Dominion University offers its Bachelor of Science (BS) in Engineering Technology, with Electrical Engineering Technology as Major, and Electrical Systems Technology as optional. The course name follows the earlier US convention of naming Electronics Engineering courses as Electrical Engineering courses. This B.S. indeed has significant stress on Electronics Engineering Technology. In-depth coverage of Electronics includes Linear Electronics, Digital Controls, Microprocessors, Communications, Control Systems etc. High-tech delivery methods like virtual laboratory, streaming video, and satellite broadcast for 1-way video and 2-way audio, are fully utilized. The course is accredited by TAC of ABET.
World College, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Cleveland Institute of Electronics (CIE), offers a Bachelor of Electronics Engineering Technology (BEET) through the distance mode. Features include over 300 lab experiments, online exams, and toll free phones and email for consultation with instructors. Subjects covered include Electronics, Computer Technology, Telecommunications, Electrical Power, and Control Systems. Access to a computer and an oscilloscope are necessary.
Grantham University (described above, under Associate Degrees) also offers a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Electronics Engineering Technology.
The only current limiting factor for electronics engineering technology distance learning seems to be the high costs for implementing virtual labs that can be simultaneously accessed by a large number of students, and once this is solved by better and economical hardware and software, electronics engineering technology distance learning will be provided by more and more Universities, Colleges, and Polytechnic Institutes.
Traditional banks are conservative and aim at minimizing their risks. Small business owners with troubled credit are not likely to get business funding from traditional banks. Happily, many small business lenders like First American Merchant have emerged over the last several years that offer less strict approval standards to small businesses with bad credit.
Here are 5 types of business loans you can get even if your business has low credit.
- Accounts Receivable Financing
This is a type of asset-financing arrangement that enables a company to use its receivables, outstanding invoices or money owed by customers, as collateral in a financing agreement. An accounts receivables financing company is also known as a factoring company. The latter gives the original company a sum equal to a reduced value of the unpaid invoices or receivables.
A/R financing is ideal for bad credit businesses that perform a service and it will take you 30-90 days to get paid for your services. Lenders usually take the already-determined sum from the proceeds and pay you the remaining difference. Funding can take from 5 to 7 business days.
- ACH Advance/Revenue-Based Financing
This is similar to a Merchant Cash Advance offered by most alternative lenders, including FirstAmericanMerchant.com. The funding amount will be based on the monthly business revenue. The term will usually be 3-8 months. Your payments will be withdrawn right from your business bank account at an already-determined amount to be withdrawn daily. You won’t be allowed to increase/decrease your payments based on daily sales volume.
- Asset Based Loan
This type of loan allows for leveraging your inventory for a credit line. So it’s ideal for company owners with large amounts of inventory and experiencing cash deficits between selling the inventory and getting paid. The inventory must be a physical asset and non-perishable.
- Equipment Sale-Lease Back
In this case, the equipment financing company will buy your equipment from you and provide you with cash. You will make a monthly payment for a term lasting 1-5 years. You can purchase your equipment back at the end of the term, extend the lease, or upgrade to newer equipment, using another lease.
- Merchant Cash Advance or MCA
A Merchant Cash Advance is not actually a loan. This is currently a popular type of business funding offered by alternative lenders like FirstAmericaanMerhcnat.com (FAM). MCA is regarded as an advance based on your future credit card sales.
First American Merchant is a reputable merchant cash advance company that helps businesses with bad credit achieve success. FAM provides a simple application process. You will get your critical small business funding in less than 72 hours. There is no need to supply any tax returns or financials.
Thought getting financing with low credit will require higher costs, you can carefully weigh all your options and get the lowest rates and the right financing solutions for your business.
Business companies are always looking for better ways in which they can handle the growing challenges of attending to customer needs. One of the things that most companies focus on is to save on running customer service costs while at the same time offer better services and support to the customers. While there are still a number of companies all over the world that sticks to the traditional methods of customer services, many firms are now shifting to using in-app messaging apps as they offer better opportunities to maintain direct customer communication while at the same time understand and resolve their needs with better efficiency.
The messaging apps that are used today require far less infrastructure to run and maintain, which is why they offer cost effective means to maintain two-way communication with their end users. They are also light, easy to use, and come with a user interface that can be easily customized. Such features make it a practical option for both the customer service department of a company and the end users to use them for their mutual communication. Since smooth communication is the best way for a customer service department to understand the changing needs of their end users, more companies are now choosing to implement them and reap their benefits. This ultimately helps in improving the overall customer experience of the end users.
These messaging apps offer numerous advantages that make them excellent tools to ensure greater customer success. For instance, they can be used by a business firm to present better content and offers that help to ensure effective customer engagement. Customers are always looking for better engagement with a brand and its products as it makes them feel that they are benefiting from using them. Hence they expect a firm to present them with excellent offers and promising deals from time to time to generate their interest. A messaging app can help in presenting such content that hold the interest of customers for long. Without such engagement, it would be difficult to retain customers for long term progress. Customer retention is crucial to deal with a highly competitive market and any company that fails to do so is sure to lag behind.
Customer onboarding is also important for improving the prospects of the business firm for the future. Most companies have numerous online visitors on their site everyday and the best thing to do for a company would be to try and convert these visitors into customers. With the help of messaging apps, effective communication can be established with these visitors and by knowing what they are looking for, the customer representative team can work to make the visitor a customer. The apps also help to generate enhanced customer satisfactionfor both the new and old users.
Apart from attending the needs of the customers on a regular basis, a messaging app also makes it possible for a company to do adequate market research and use such information to develop and implement email marketing campaigns. These campaigns help in increasing the sales figures of a company which in turn brings greater return in investment. The apps also help in the implementation of marketing automation techniques that help in bringing in more customers. It is considered to be essential for the long term progress of any company.
Removal of Gatekeepers
- The biggest change computers have made with mass media is the fact that there is no gateway between the writer and publishing. Anyone can set up a personal blog and report whatever news they wish. News can get to people more quickly, but it typically doesn’t go through the fact-checking or editing process like you’d see at a newspaper. Video blogs are another way news is delivered by anyone as well. People can record videos and post them online on popular mediums such as YouTube.
Speed and Style
- By the time a story is published in a newspaper it is likely that people already know what is happening. Even before it appears on the nightly news people have used computers to spread the word via social networking sites like Twitter or their personal blogs. News stations and newspapers even have places on their websites where their audience can submit news as it is happening. Writing style has changed as well. Journalism students are taught how to write for the online readers versus print. For example, frequently stories are updated throughout the day as news breaks, requiring a different mindset for a different audience.
Rise of Multimedia
- Computers allow journalists to add additional content to stories as well. Audio and video clips can be added to web stories, engaging the readers more than a newspaper or televised newscast can. Podcasts are a popular way news is delivered because the news can be downloaded on to an iPod and taken on the go. Another big change is the death of print media. Print products have generally been losing advertising revenue as more readers flock to the Web. Newspaper subscriptions have fallen dramatically.
- Download the latest Windows Media Player from Microsoft (see Resources).
- Open Windows Media Player and right-click on any open space on the toolbar. Click “Tools” and then choose “Options.”
- Go to the Privacy tab and check “Download usage rights automatically when I play or sync a file.” When finished, click “Apply” and then “OK” to close the dialog box.
- Close Windows Media Player and install the Security Component Upgrade, available from Windows Media Technologies (see Resources).
- Visit websites such as CNN.com and Fox News to read live news updates from around the world. These major news networks also provide HTML code so you can embed the live news feeds on your own website.
- Visit the websites for your local news station to view the live news updates from your city and state.
- Subscribe to SMS text alerts on the major news websites. These subscriptions are usually free. By subscribing to the text alerts, you will receive text messages on your mobile phone containing details of events as they transpire.
- Follow the major news stations on the “Twitter” social networking site. Because of Twitter’s popularity, many news stations such as CNN and MSNBC are utilizing Twitter as an extra tool to provide you with the latest live news snippets.
If you like to keep up with the latest technology when it comes to computers, you probably have a stash of older computers in your garage collecting dust, not to mention monitors, keyboards, printers and other peripherals. These computers may still work or be destined for the junk pile, but because of the non-biodegradable and potentially hazardous metals, it’s best to find a place for these old machines other than a landfill.
Recycling, reusing or giving these old pieces of technology to non-profit organizations keeps landfills free of harmful materials. In Georgia there are several options to help you get rid of your old computers, from donating the old hardware to complete recycling.
- Delete all sensitive information from your computer. It’s rarely enough these days to just hit “Delete” and empty the recycle bin or trash. Run a program like Darik’s Boot and Nuke to completely erase your hard drive. See “Resources” below for more programs like this.
- Call the local schools and see if they’re in need of any computer equipment. Make sure everything is in working order before you drop it all off, including a functional operating system installation.
- Contact your area not-for-profit organizations such as places of worship or other non-profits. There are some organizations that refurbish and donate computers to those who can’t afford them.
Georgia’s Computer Recycling Program, ReBoot, refurbishes old computers and donates them to people with disabilities. They also accept software, telephones, cell phones, office furniture, copiers and other equipment. See “Resources” below for a link to ReBoot.
- Locate a Computer Recycling Site near you. If your computer hardware and other peripherals are beyond repair, it’s time for recycling. Major office supply stores may also offer computer recycling. As an added bonus for the busy folks out there, some businesses will even pick up your old hardware for a fee. See the “Resources” below for the Computer Recycling Center Locater.
- Using plastic or magnetic letters or the letter tiles from board games makes creating the anagram of the name easier since the pieces are easily manipulated. Pick one letter to begin your new word and see how the rest may combine to follow that letter. Look for patterns of letters that may help you create a different word, such as “-ed” or “-est” for the word ending. Try various combinations of vowels like putting an “a” and “e” together, shifting the letters until you can see a word or phrase. Consider breaking the name into multiple words for the anagram, like finding “ye cats” out of “Stacey.” Other options for finding anagrams include online programs like the Internet Anagram Server and the Anagram Maker 3 from MIT.
- Identify the barriers that need to be overcome. These can be diverse and can include lack of tools and understanding of the technology as well as lack of support and motivation. Identifying and understanding the obstacles is the first step in any process of overcoming a barrier or challenge.
- Learn why it is necessary to integrate technology in a certain field. Consider the present and future implications of integrating and not integrating. In a classroom setting, this can be seen by considering how it will benefit the students in the future as well as the benefits to the teacher. For both groups, these benefits include increased productivity and motivation.
- Integrate with what is available. For example, in an organization that needs to improve customer and employee productivity, why not consider the freely available tools on the Internet and see how effective they are before moving on to premium versions? Social networks, for example, offer free productivity platforms that can be used to launch many products and services and also enhance interactions within and outside organizations.
- Start with small and fast projects before moving on to larger, time-consuming tasks. For example, the use of web video or Google Maps in a history class does not require huge investments of time and resources.
- Make technology integration a priority, and if necessary, ask for support. Use what is available to get started, and be flexible and open minded when using low-tech alternatives. During a semester or a quarter, integrate at least a new technology-based strategy, and work with others to get it adopted faster.
- Learn with your employees or students to reduce the learning curve. A technology that is learned within the classroom or office context tends to have more staying power than a one-shot workshop. Ask for suggestions, and let the employees or students determine how to best use the technology to improve productivity and efficiency.
- Many businesses today not only make good use of their web sites, but also social networking sites like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter as well as blogs and forums. These sites allow companies to share information and news updates quickly with one another and with customers, who share the information with their friends and followers. This viral spread of information plays a vital role in companies getting the word out about their products and services, and it helps customers have a direct say in the goods they wish to purchase.
- The quick sharing of information allows companies to receive instant feedback on their products from customers, employees and the competition. Speed and accessibility are important components in keeping up with research and development in a global business workplace, and the companies rising to the top are the ones paying attention to the available information about their business that potential customers can access.
- Once a business has completed the necessary research on customer needs, wants and reactions, it can continue to benefit from information technology by easily targeting the ideal customers with new products and services. For example, advertisers on the Internet use a kind of technology that “crawls” on an individual’s webpage, scanning words to judge what the individual is interested in, then provides advertisements that may appeal to that individual. If you are reading a web site about beach vacations, you may see advertisements for plane tickets to coastal cities or sales on swimwear. Information technology helps companies reach their target audience immediately.
- Information technology has led to an unprecedented level of connectivity, with telecommunication devices and programs, allowing businesses to stay globally connected and lead a more mobile work lifestyle. This has opened up a greater variety of jobs to potential employees all over the world, because employees no longer need to spend their entire work day in an office in the city where they live. Information technology also gives smaller businesses access to a much wider pool of customers, making it easier for them to compete with larger businesses.
- Skim the material. Read the table of contents to get a basic idea of what information the book includes. Then run through the pages, taking in titles, subtitles, headings, appendixes, glossary, pictures, graphs and any words in bold type. Let your eyes move rapidly over the text, rather than trying to read every word. Don’t try to remember anything specific; just try to get a general feel for the information.
- Decide what the material is about and what you hope to achieve by reading it. Ask yourself what you want from the material. By focusing on your personal goals, you allow your mind to concentrate on locating the information that would be most useful to you. This can help to generate personal motivation and increase your level of interest.
- Generate questions about the material. Now that you have a general goal in mind, write down a few specific questions pertaining to your goal. Try to anticipate how the author will present the information. When you spot relevant vocabulary in the text, you will automatically connect it to your question.
- Take notes while reading and underscore significant or meaningful passages. One of the best ways to remember something is to write it down. When you come across an important point, or something you wish to remember, jot a note on a separate piece of paper, make a note in the margin or underline the passage so you can find it again.
- Review what you have read to be sure you understand the material. Did it answer the questions you asked? If not, go through the material once more to determine why. It is possible the answers you were looking for just aren’t there, but by reviewing the material it becomes easier to recall and you can establish what you have learned, as well as what you haven’t.
- Summarize the material. Write out a short version of what you have just read, highlighting the main points, opinions, and conclusions. This will help reinforce general comprehension of the information.
- Point your web browser to http://handbrake.fr/?article=download to go to the HandBrake video compression software download page.
- If you would like to read about HandBrake’s video compression components and technical specifications, click Details from the left-hand navigation menu. Note that you can also subscribe to the website’s RSS feeds to get the latest news in video compression technology.
- Select your platform (Windows, Mac, or Linux) and click Download to download the HandBrake video compression software on your computer.
- When the software download process is complete, insert DVD video into the DVD drive on your computer.
- Open HandBrake.
- In the list of devices on the left-hand side of the HandBrake window, select your DVD player.
- In the middle column, select VIDEO_TS to display a list of video files.
- In the list of video files that displays, scroll down until you see the first video file whose memory is around 1023 MB. In other words, you’re looking for the first large video file.
- Click the Open button in the lower right. HandBrake software will initially scan all DVD titles.
- In the Source section at the top of the HandBrake window, select the DVD chapter(s) you’d like to record. Not selecting the to/from chapters will result in recording the entire video which could take over three hours and lots of computer memory.
- In the Destination section at the top of the HandBrake window, click the Browse button to tell HandBrake where to save the video file. For ease of use, saving the video file to the desktop is recommended.
- Click the green Start button in the left-hand area of the HandBrake top menu to begin recording your video.
- Cloud computing is when you use web-based software to perform the same functions as if you had the programs installed on the computer. Google Docs is one example of a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation program used through Google’s website.
- Smartphones are cell phones that are simply small computers. They use operating systems like Windows Mobile and RIM (Blackberry) to surf the web, create documents and communicate.
- Because of their portability, netbooks continue to set technology trends. With screens running about 10 inches, consumers are finding that doing the basics like checking email and getting online is sometimes all they need to do.
- Open source allows many different developers to improve on a basic set of software instructions. Linux is a totally open source operating system, for example, and even Microsoft has entered the open source foray.
- As wireless technology gets better and stronger, the more consumers want to do. From streaming to televisions to accessing computers remotely, wireless functionality makes computing easier and convenient.
- Turn on your computer and open a Web browser. Go to FoxNews.com.
- Click the “Watch Fox News.com Live” link on the right-hand side of the Home page.
- Download the appropriate plug-in if your computer prompts you to do so.
- Minimize the screen, and click and drag the window to adjust the size so it’s in a corner of your screen.
- Bookmark the page so you can quickly access it daily.
Efficiency and Productivity
- An increase in technology generally means that tasks are completed faster and more efficiently. This translates to increased productivity. From the business standpoint, this is definitely an advantage, since increased productivity means better sales, services or manufacturing.
- When an organization uses technology properly, the technology typically cuts the number of hours that need to be worked. This increases profit for the organization because it doesn’t need to pay workers to remain on the job site. However, if the technology cuts the number of hours drastically enough, some individuals may lose their jobs entirely because the technology essentially completes the tasks that the employee originally did. Factories are the best example of this—as more and more robots complete assembly line tasks in an automated way, there’s less of a need for physical workers. According to Small Business Bible, jobs are created by technology too, such as information technology specialist positions.
- It is debatable whether or not technology is financially a disadvantage or advantage. On one hand, technology is cost effective, according to Small Business Bible—technology may boost revenue and profit through increased efficiency, productivity and limited man hours. However, a business may lose this revenue and profit simply because they have to support and update all of the technology they use. For example, a business may reduce the number of office employee hours with a handful of software programs, but it then may have to pay a technology consultant fees for installing and answering questions about how to use the programs.
- Norwin A. Merens, managing director of NM Marketing Communications, says that having a personal touch in business is beneficial. When an organization uses technology to an excessive degree (e.g., when most operations are automated, more machines are used than employees, the majority of employees are in tech support, or everyone is required to use phones, computers, etc.), it may lose the personal appeal it had. Others may shy away from the organization because they want to do business or communicate with a real person and not a machine.
- Technology means that people can perform tasks with an incredibly high degree of accuracy. For example, in medicine, machines can measure the exact amount of oxygen a person is taking in or make an incision to within millimeters.
- Technology may cause numerous health problems. For example, according to Practice, Medical News Today, PR Log and Poynton, scientists, researchers and doctors such as Darius Lakdawalla, Tomas Philipson, Amy Drescher and Charles Poynton are concerned about the links between technology, obesity/heart problems, eye strain, deafness and muscle issues. Waste from technology such as the used fuel and emissions from factory machines may pollute the environment, disturbing ecosystems and making people sick.
- Contact centers are increasingly using voice recognition and call-routing technologies. The customer can speak to a computer or press keys that will route him or her to the appropriate department to handle the request. Call routing improves customer service by allowing the customer to go straight to the person that can handle his or her needs. This saves the customer from repeating the request to numerous representative and ultimately saves time for the customer and saves money for the organization. Research technologies and consultants can help automate routine processes. Visit similar businesses to understand how they have implemented technology in their operating processes. Interview other businesses to discover how automation has impacted their business positively and negatively.
- Technology also empowers the customer. With technology, the customer can get what is needed from the company. Self-checkout lines have become popular in retail outlets. The customer goes into the store to get what is needed and can check out without interacting with the company’s associates. The customer is satisfied because he or she can quickly get exactly what is needed, purchase and pay for the item without a long wait. The customer may also choose not to self-checkout and prefer to use a cashier line. This, again, increases customer service because he or she has an option. The customer has control over how he or she interacts with the organization. Look to see what the company can allow the customers to access themselves. When evaluating, be prepared to change or completely eliminate some processes. Simplify the processes to make it easier for the customer.
- Colleges have used technology to literally educate their customers, the students. Technology has created the ability to provide online classes to students. Online colleges tout the fact that students can learn at their convenience. Online classes are often smaller than regular, university classes. The students work in a virtual classroom with a virtual whiteboard. Companies also can educate their customers about items as simple as operating hours or as drastic as company shutdowns. Airlines and hotels use technology to send customers reminders of flight check-ins or hotel reservations. This not only helps customers by helping them remember important events on behalf of the company, but it also helps the company by providing a way to confirm the customer’s initial request. Keep the external and internal channels of customer communication updated. For example, the company websites should have the most current information; this includes external websites and the company’s intranet. Have an action plan for quickly and accurately updating the company’s information. This plan should include the use of websites, social media and phone messages.
More channels of ordering
- The internet, telephone and even social media have helped to provide customers with increased, more efficient ways of ordering products. In addition, customers can order a product or service when it is convenient for them. Review the organization’s channels of ordering. If the customer cannot order by telephone anytime, provide other channels of ordering such as through the company’s website, blog or even through social media. Check to ensure the customer can provide payment information securely via the internet and telephone. If the customer orders via mail or fax, ensure that the organization is PCI-compliant, which also keeps customer payment information secure.
- Technology means getting more done in a smaller amount of time. Use technology to increase the number of products produced or to complete more processes. For example, technology is used to create more cars in a shorter amount of time. If technology were not available, the cost to create a car would be very expensive. In turn, the price of the car would be burdensome to the average family. However, with technology, the company can create the car at a fraction of the cost and charge the customer less. Technology keeps costs low while providing a quality product to the customer. Begin using technology in those areas where there is “low-hanging fruit.” For example, instead of making paper copies to send to other departments, scan the documents and place them on a shared server. This saves money in office supplies, time in document distribution and allows the receiving departments the ability to always access the information.
There are hundredths and thousands of travelers who have travelled and discovered the famous vacation spots considered as best in the USA. As per the popularity of those places as well as trust worthy tweets of experts sharing factors such as accommodations, variety of attractions and dining options we have come across with the best rated places to visit in USA. Studying in New England College will also help you in getting closer to the culture of US.
They are as follows:
The place comprises of multicolored pools, hiking trails that stretch for miles, steaming geysers, bubbling hot springs and plenty of natural view to excite the nature lovers. This is a national park which will appreciated by you if you are an animal lover, because there are two insight place to be visited and they are Grizzly and Wolf Discovery center to learn more about wildlife creatures living in this area.
Willing to explore some of the most inspiring and awful visions in America? Do add Grand Canyon in your list of places to visit in US. Your love of adventure and desire of sightseeing will definitely be fulfilled, you can hike in the Bright Angel Trails or you can enjoy mind blowing river rafting at Colorado River. You will also be able to discover plenty of picturesque vistas too.
The popular place is best known for the promotion of the cultural aspects of the country, it has always been affected by some diverse groups and several social movements. The best way to observe the Bay’s character is to explore each neighborhood living individually. Enclaves built here from the time of Castor’s are the central part of attraction and are also appreciated by the visitors and the travellers.
If you love beaches and romantic walks with your pal on the sea shore then don’t even dare to forget this place to visit, it will help you to visualize and feel the essence of verdant mountains and idyllic beaches, the place is best known for escapism at its finest. You can spend almost each and every happy second of your life admiring the scenic beauty and while you cruise along the Road to Hana or lounge across the sands of kaihalulu, you will think to stay here forever. Don’t forget to have delicious seafood at Maui.
What else is anything popular in this whole world accept Washington DC in the list of places to visit in USA. It is the capital of USA and popularly admired by the visitors for its iconic land marks like Lincoln Memorial and the monument of Washington DC. The place allows travellers to explore all the nook and corner of the country throughout the day. Its up to you, that how you manage to save energy for the evening out at DC because that is something you would never like to exclude from the list. It is a place for food lovers too, if you are foodie then you would definitely feel amazing and satisfied with the quality and unique taste of cuisines prepared exclusively here in the popular restaurants.
- Make a list of the technology that impacts your daily life. Use this list as a base guideline to learn about technology and the base technologies that are being used today. For example, a smart phone uses technologies such as semiconductors, microprocessors, media storage, LCD screen technology, broadband access and Bluetooth. Make notes regarding which technologies are most beneficial to you and which ones could use enhancements.
- Read articles, white papers, vendor-issued press releases and product specifications for vendors that you are aware of. For example, read press releases and product announcement for companies such as Research In Motion, Google and Verizon if you are still working off of your smart phone technology list. Bookmark pages and use the terms and products mentioned to further search the Internet for additional information, reviews and comparisons of the products.
- Read articles and information on magazine websites devoted to technology such as PC World Magazine, Computer World Magazine and the Technology News section of The New York Times. Visit the websites on a weekly basis to scan through current news and events to monitor which topics and trends are receiving the most publicity. Sign up for all news feeds and email notifications for technology topics.
- Read blogs written by technology-specific writers. Find the blogs through the magazine websites or by performing a search on the writer’s name. Bookmark the blogs and sign up through the blog directly for notifications of new postings and news feeds for blogs that are of interest to you.
- Bookmark and visit social media sites, making sure to note the feeds associated for technology and technology-specific areas. Search through groups, individual contributors and company-produced feeds to further keep track of new and timely information.
- Keep a running list of terms, topics and products that continually appear and get mentioned in all of the information portals and mediums you are tracking. Take notes and print out information to further examine and study the trends that you see developing.
- Technology can allow for a shift to a paperless classroom, which can make the teacher’s job more efficient and organized. With a paperless format for grading and tracking assignments, teachers transport less student work to and from home and can access grades from multiple locations. Teachers may also teach in a distance-learning format, allowing them to potentially take on more students and course sections as meeting times are more flexible or nonexistent. In this format, a teacher can use a variety of technologies to present course information and reuse materials in several sections of a course without having to repeat the same lecture.
Access for Students
- Technology, specifically the Internet, gives students instant access to research databases from a variety of sources, including news sources, university databases and instructional videos. Beginning at the youngest levels of education, students can take a more active role in their own learning using technology. Games can provide children with practice in learning shapes, the alphabet and math skills, for example. Software can provide English language learners with opportunities to practice language skills independently. Additionally, technology allows students to learn from home, which is often more convenient, less costly and provides equity for rural students.
- One disadvantage for teachers at all levels of education is trying to keep up with changing technologies and learning how to use both hardware and software for educational purposes. Additionally, teachers must learn how to ensure that students are learning skills rather than simply learning how to efficiently use technology. For example, using a graphing calculator in a geometry class may make it easier for students to find angle measures without understanding properties of a triangle. Teachers can also find the amount of student communication via email overwhelming if they have increased numbers of students.
Potential Pitfalls for Students
- Discrepancies in computer skills may make assignments more difficult to complete for some students. Computer malfunctions can cause them to lose assignments or materials. In the case of online courses taken from home, varying Internet speeds and devices available to students at home may cause some students difficulty. Additionally, acquiring information in an online course relies largely on student motivation and self-monitoring, which may be difficult for some students. Other disadvantages include the danger of time spent off task distracted by social media and websites, or lack of motivation to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Mobile technology refers to any device that owners can use and take with them anywhere, according to the United Kingdom’s Business Support Service. Typical mobile technology includes cellular phones, laptops and global positioning systems.
- Mobile technology includes mobile devices and mobile communication services. A laptop is a mobile device. Wireless Internet connections and Bluetooth connectivity are examples of mobile communication services. These mobile devices and services allow consumers to use their technology on the road, such as connecting a laptop to wireless service in an airport.
- Mobile technology makes life more convenient and allows services that would otherwise not exist. Some restaurants, for example, let their customers pay for meals using a wireless credit/debit card, removing the need to pay at a register. Mobile devices allow people to work just about anywhere. Businessmen, for example, can hook up to a wireless connection and respond to email or receive the latest financial reports while on an airplane.
- Mobile technology also gives an avenue for would-be thieves to compromise company or personal files. Administrators should put a password on their wireless network; otherwise, anybody can connect and snoop around the hard drives of computers connected to it. Mobile technology can also facilitate corporate fraud. Competitors might be able to intercept email and use that information to price their products lower.
- The world will only continue to get more mobile, and mobile technology will get faster, smaller and more useful. In 2010, cell phone companies expect to roll out 4G networks, which transfer data to cell phones at blinding speeds and will allow the downloading of movies to a phone in a matter of minutes.
- Open a new Internet browser session window. Navigate to the computer manufacturer’s support website. For example, bring up Toshiba’s “Support” homepage (see Resources).
- Click on the link on the manufacturer’s support Web page that relates to updates, drivers and downloads. In this example, Toshiba’s support homepage has a link labeled “Download.”
- Click to highlight and select the category, family and model of the computer. Continuing with Toshiba, select “Laptops” for category, “Satellite” for family and “A105-S2001” for the model.
- Click the button that initiates a search for updates based on the selections made for the computer. On Toshiba’s site, click the “GO” button.
- Click the options to narrow the updates to the BIOS. In the Toshiba example, click the down arrow next to “All Operating Systems” and choose “BIOS.”
- Click on the link for the most recent BIOS update. Follow the instructions to download and install the updated files to the BIOS.
- Send in the initial application using the FIT website at suny.edu and click “Apply Now.” After your application has been submitted, you’ll receive two emails confirming that your application has been received. The first letter comes from the SUNY Application Services Center. The comes from FIT to the email address indicated on your SUNY application. It will have what you need to complete the admission process. The FIT email includes your assigned student identification number and your FIT Username and Password. It can take seven to 10 days to receive the first email from FIT after submitting the SUNY application.
- Fill out an academic history and essay form, available online after you have received your email from FIT. To submit these forms, access MyFIT using your FIT username and password. In the essay form input your essay. The topic typically allows you to explain why you are the perfect candidate for FIT. Use it to tell admissions staff more about your experiences, activities and accomplishments. There is a 750-word limit. For the academic history portion, indicate all schools, dates of attendance, location, degree(s) awarded and other information for all secondary and post-secondary schools attended.
- Arrange to have all official secondary and post-secondary transcripts sent in sealed envelopes directly from your schools to:
Fashion Institute of Technology
Office of Admissions
Seventh Avenue at 27 Street, Room C139
New York City 10001-5992
FIT only accepts academic documents that have been officially attested (bearing the stamp and signature of the Registrar or designated officer) and placed in a sealed envelope by the issuing institution or awarding authority. Documents from all institutions must be provided, regardless of the type of institution, subjects taken or their relevance to FIT. Such documents should include all subjects taken, all grades or marks earned, and any degrees awarded. Official AP and/or CLEP scores, if any, are required when available. Official IB (International Baccalaureate) diplomas or certificates, if any, must be provided by the IBO.
- Review the portfolio requirements as Art and Design applicants must submit a portfolio. You’ll receive information in your FIT email regarding portfolio requirements for your major. Do not submit your portfolio until you have received an authorization form and detailed instructions from the admissions office. View requirements for the portfolio at the FIT
Get the Training
- Do a 4-year bachelor’s degree in a technology-related field, such as computer science, information systems management or electronics. Since the focus of your consulting career is going to be providing technological support, you don’t need advanced, formal business training.
- Go on to take specialized courses in information technology once you graduate from college. Available through professional schools and other accredited institutions, IT education is a key way to signal yourself as a true professional in a world of “do-it-yourself” individuals without hard credentials.
- Consider adding a graduate degree to your education portfolio to give yourself an edge in the workplace.
- Keep your skill set up-to-date at all times as you get your career off the ground by enrolling in inexpensive technology classes at your local city college. Information technology changes fast. Change with it.
- Do small-scale technology consulting on a freelance basis for independent businesses looking to implement some IT to their workplace. Advertise yourself locally, and work at reduced (or even free) rates until you have built up enough experience on your resume to start applying for jobs.
- Expect that you’ll need at least a couple of years of proven experience before you’ll start turning heads in the professional world as you try to become a technology consultant.
- Know that the technology consulting industry is roughly broken up into three categories: professional services, staffing companies and independents. Professional services companies are large IT consulting firms who employ a large, steady workforce to meet the needs of their clients. Staffing agencies, on the other hand, outsource IT professionals on a contract basis according to market demand.
- Keep an eye toward going into business for yourself, once you have built up an impressive enough resume and have access to a steady client base without the aid of an agency or consulting firm. To become an independent technology consultant, expect to work professionally for a period of at least 3 to 5 years before you’ll have the know-how to go out on your own.
- Open a word processing program such as Microsoft Word, highlight the word and right-click the highlight. Click the “Translate” option. Select “French” from the “To” drop-down menu and click the green arrow button to translate the word.
- Type the word into a free online translation website, such as SDL’s Free Translation service. Type in the word–for example, “cat”–and select “French” from the drop-down menu. Click the “Translate” button and the translation appears on the right side of the screen.
- Look up the word in a French and English dictionary, such as “Merriam-Webster’s French-English Dictionary,” “Larousse Student Dictionary French-English,” “Cassell’s French & English Dictionary” or “Webster’s French-English Dictionary.”
- Contact a member of the American Translators Association. The association website offers a searchable database of people who offer translation services. Within the website’s search form, narrow the search to English to French language translation in your zip code, where applicable.
- Technology has given us nearly instant communication. In addition, more people are able to view information and products than ever before. The increase in communicative ability and access to data is beneficial in that it creates a certain level of accountability. For instance, members of the media are under more pressure to report accurately, since the data they report is seen by potentially millions of people worldwide.
- Better technology in many instances has led to better travel. Planes fly more efficiently to more places than ever before, for example. The benefit is that it is very easy to transport both people and goods from place to place. The resulting global economy keeps prices low. People do not need to work or live only in their native area. However, better travel also means that people are more likely to spread disease from place to place, and a global economy means that some inferior or unsafe products may be widely distributed.
- For the most part, increased technology has led to improvements in health. Doctors now have ways to tell how sterile an environment or tool is. They have many different machines that can monitor vital signs or that can be used in medical procedures. Without this technology, many people would not recover from their illnesses, and disease would spread more rapidly.
Health and Other Concerns
- Although modern technology can improve health, there is concern that the excessive use of technology may promote some health problems. For instance, those who work in front of a computer screen or who watch a lot of television every day are more sedentary, which can lead to physical problems. There also is concern that technology is reducing the social skills held by people and that it allows for a decrease in safety, such as with child pornography posted on the Internet. Additionally, modern technology may be creating some problems in that it can be used improperly, such as with atomic bombs during war.
- Whether technology is beneficial or harmful depends largely on the way it is used and who is wielding the technology. For instance, computer email can be used to share family photographs, or it can be used to send out attachments that damage the recipient’s computer and steal information. Some regulations on modern technology thus are needed in order to guarantee or to protect individual and social safety.
- Individuals or groups who make business decisions need rapid access to information to formulate and justify their decisions. Information can include historical corporate data, customer records, market trends, financial data and competitor profiles. This information may reside in varying databases within an organization, however, making it difficult for decision makers to get a complete picture. Investing in a networked data management system enables organizations to store data in central locations that decision makers can access via a secure network.
- Technology can also improve the collection of information needed for business decisions. Providing network links between a central database and local retail outlets, for example, enables organizations to collect the latest sales data and make decisions based on up-to-date information. Similarly, members of a supply chain can collect and share market and production data to make more accurate decisions about production and stock levels.
- Data alone cannot improve business decisions. According to Strategic Consultancy DSS Resources, data management must reflect decision-making processes. Many information technology (IT) departments believe that their responsibility is just to deliver large quantities of data to the decision maker’s desktop. Raw data, however, is unlikely to reflect the decision makers’ needs, creating a disconnect between IT and business.
- The decision-making process consists of a number of stages including decision preparation, decision structuring, decision making, and decision management. Data requirements are different at each stage, so large volumes of raw data are unnecessary. Business intelligence software tools are available that allow users to select, analyze and manipulate data into the form they need at different stages of the process.
- In many organizations, decision making is a group process, particularly for a project such as new product development. Technology supports decision making in a group environment by allowing all members to access essential data via a network. Groups can also use collaboration tools such as audio or video conferencing to conduct meetings between members in different locations as a way to speed up decision making.
- Let’s start with economy. Last summer, I was working on a television show in Arizona. The entire crew stayed in a home kept in the mid seventies, while the air outside topped 115 degrees. Although signs warned us to turn the thermostat up while we were away, we usually forgot, cooling an empty home for an entire work day. A programable thermostat would have cut our energy consumption dramatically by telling the cooling system when to stop and reset so that while we were actually there we’d still be in comfort. The same programming could be applied to furnaces and hot water heaters. Many offices already use motion sensors to switch on lighting. The same sensors have now migrated into homes and can determine when a home owner goes to bed to turn off the light and adjust the thermostat. Heavy electrical use machines, like washing machines or dryers could be programmed to turn on and work at when electrical rates drop.
- Home safety can also be programmed. Security systems can form the networking backbone of many smart houses. In addition to alarms, cameras are now commonly available that you could watch world wide from any PC when you’re away. Many home fires are started by electrical short circuits. In your home today, every device has power fed to it. In a smart house, power is only turned on when the device is needed. If a short circuit occurs, power can be disconnected, the kind of action you’d expect from a simple circuit breaker, but here’s the additional protection. Smart houses also detect gas water leaks and monitor smoke alarms. Power would also be shut down and the appropriate agency summoned. If you look at your home today, you’ll see many DC voltage transformers for radios, fax machines, and more. These wall warts are on all the time wasting power. Smart homes allow for different kinds of current to be fed to different devices only when needed, promoting safety through lower voltages where appropriate while again saving homeowners money.
- To begin, analyze your needs. With your family, discuss exactly which automation features you’ll require. If you are building from scratch, your requirements will influence your home’s layout. In a retrofit, you’ll be limited by your house’s floor plan. Get advice from as many people as you can who are now using automation. What did they do wrong? What works best? Decide on whether you plan to do the installation yourself or hire a professional.
- Decide on your network. There are four main kinds. Structured wiring is a specialized secure network of multi-conductor cable that distributes data and power for phones, computers, home entertainment systems, and any appliances that can be controlled by a microprocessor – think a remote control or timer. It’s the best choice for new construction but is hard to install in an existing home. Wireless networks are flexible and easy to put in. However they are subject to interference from baby monitors and mobile phones. Power line networks use a home’s existing electrical wires to transmit data. They can be disrupted by power surges and failures. If your system is unencrypted it could be accessed by a neighbor on your same local transformer – so much for home security. Phone line networks control your appliances over your existing phone lines. The devices are multiplexed, assigned different frequencies, but again require hard wire installation, although the wiring is small diamater compared to a fully structured network.
- Once you’ve decided on your network, then choose your control devices. Smarthome.com or housesmarttech.com are good sites to browse to see what’s available.
- Some smart house technology has already filtered down to common uses. For example, ground fault interrupters are better than simple fuses, because they can instantly detect a potentially fatal shock where electricity could run to ground through a person. These circuits shut down immediately and are now commonly used in bathrooms, kitchens, and outside outlets.
Digital Textile Printing
- Eliminating the need to embroider or paint patterns onto clothes, digital textile printing is the latest way a business and consumer can customize clothes. This type of fabric printing allows for small-quantity production, which is highly sought by well-known fashion designers and companies to create high-demand, brand name clothing without a lot of waste. Digital textile printing is capable of producing photo-quality images onto fabric and reproductions of hand-painted art to use for clothes.
- The synthetic fibers that form elastane (also known as “Spandex”) are popular for their elasticity and durability. An anagram of the word “expands,” Spandex revolutionized the clothing world. Clothes that may contain Spandex include pants, wetsuits, bathing suits, underwear, hosiery, activewear and shapewear. Athletes who need form-fitting clothes that do not constrict their movements often wear this material.
Formotion Clothing Technology
- Formotion technology combines different types of fabric to create clothing that will enhance the performance of athletes. Clothes with this technology use compression fabrics to provide control. Specific, sculpted cuts of fabric allow for complete range of motion. Formotion clothes also integrate technologies that regulate an athlete’s body temperature so they stay cooler while they sweat.
Fire-Resistant, Sweat-Wicking Clothes
- Clothing used for safety purposes have combined fire-resistant materials with those that help the user stay cool without the use of added harmful chemicals. DRIFIRE clothes—used by firefighters, welders and those working around open flames—are designed to provide comfort. The material wicks sweat and moisture off the body and reduces the chances of heat stroke and steam burns. The built-in, flame-resistant materials do not melt in extreme heats and protect the skin against flash fires and electric arc flashes.
- Aerogel, also called “frozen smoke,” is the lightest solid material in existence. NASA, to insulate space suits and the Mars Rover, uses Aerogel. Also used as a drug-delivery system, insulation for skylights and to trap space dust, Aerogel introduced itself to the consumer market with the invention of the “Supersuit”: a jacket that is as thin as a T-shirt yet still keeps individuals warm in subzero temperatures.
- The first widespread use of information technology in health care was automated claims processing. Electronic processing of medical claims by care providers and insurance companies speeds up the approval of claims and payments to clinicians.
Electronic Health Records
- Electronic health records (EHRs) allow patient data to be shared across the care spectrum by primary care physicians, nurses, labs and specialists. Diagnosing and treating illness require the patient’s medical and treatment history to be available for anyone who sees a particular patient. EHRs save clinicians time by not having to search for information or duplicate it in multiple locations.
Diagnostics and Disease Management
- IT enables faster, more accurate diagnosis of disease. Using IT, clinicians can assemble data about all aspects of a patient’s care, consult with specialists remotely and get evaluation of lab data and images by specialists around the world in real time. IT can also assist patient safety by automating the cross-checking of information like drug interactions and set up reminders for follow-up with patients who have chronic diseases.
- As health care becomes more information based, personalized and even consumer driven, social media play a larger role in information sharing. Social media outlets allow patients with specific diseases to share information about treatments and outcomes with one another and with clinicians. As the data sets at social media sites grow, they have increasing clinical value for research.
- The sequencing and publishing of the human genome on the Internet opened a new field of genomics and personalized medicine. An individual’s genetic blueprint contains information about susceptibility to different types of disease and disease bio-markers for specific diseases like Lou Gehrig’s disease. As science learns to turn different genes on and off, new gene-based therapies for a wide variety of diseases become possible. IT speeds this effort by enabling remote collaboration and information sharing among researchers.
Technology expands the reach and efficiency of many forms of internal and external business communication. Field sales representatives and technicians, for instance, no longer have to return to an office to receive assignments. Instead, they take calls or mobile messages while in the field, alerting them to the next scheduled appointment. Business reps traveling for work can stay connected to the office and colleagues. E-mail enables mass distribution of messages to people across geographical boundaries.
Externally, technology enhances opportunities for marketing communication. Social media, e-mail and mobile phones allow companies swifter and more interactive communication platforms relative to traditional, one-way media options.
No matter what your industry, business size or primary activities, technology allows opportunities to optimize production beyond what you could produce without it. Small companies can often compete with larger firms in operational efficiency, thanks to access to high-tech equipment and tools. Manufacturers constantly look to upgrade equipment to compete with industry leaders on production efficiency.
In a retail business, technology makes the process of selling to and servicing customers much more efficient as well. Scanning barcodes at a checkout is faster than finger-punching numbers in a cash register. Also, as items get scanned, companies capture important data for precise marketing.
Raw materials suppliers, manufacturers, wholesalers, retails and B2B providers all have inventory management processes. Technology is used to organize items systematically in a warehouse or storage room. Matching computer information to inventory storage spaces helps associates pull stock as quickly as possible. Companies can quickly compare inventory when it comes in the door to order sizes on the computer screen. Many inventory processes are automated. Retailers, for instance, often use vendor managed inventory approaches where suppliers automatically send replenishment when alerted that stock is low at a store. Organized, efficient inventory control helps minimize inventory costs while meeting customer demand.
Companies small and large use advanced software programs to manage accounting and finance tasks, according to the U.S. Small Business Administration. In fact, companies often use programs that sync accounting with point-of-sale terminals and bookkeeping programs, such that each purchase or sale transaction is automatically captured in an accounting platform. Using technology to manage financial record-keeping minimizes manual processes, reduces costs and helps protect against human error.
- Decide what news video you want to record, such as CNN or Fox News, and open the video on your computer screen.
- Download and open a screen capture program; examples include “HyperCam,” “Camtasia” and “Easy Screen Capture Video.”
- Click on the “Record” option in your screen capture program.
- Click on the outer corner of the area you want to record and, while holding your mouse down, drag it across the video to cover the entire area you want to record.
- Click “Start Recording” on your screen capture program and then click “Play” on your news video.
- Click “Stop Recording” when you have recorded what you needed and then “Save” and then “Edit” to edit your video in the screen capture program.
- Use information technology to increase productivity in your home or business. Programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint can be used to create word documents, spreadsheets and presentations. By using programs such as these, you will save time and effort, instead of wasting time by writing out documents and data information with your hands.
- Utilize databases in your home or office that will allow you to store data on your clients and customers. Many customers, when they connect with organizations, provide information such as their name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and, sometimes, their social security numbers. By storing the client’s information in the database, you can shred the paperwork that contains confidential information. Because the information is being stored in a database, you can also have more control over who can view the information. You can assign usernames and passwords that are required to log into the database to access the information.
- Use information technology as a means to communicate. With so many features available, such as e-mail and instant messaging, you are sure to find a communication method that is more convenient than picking up a telephone.
- Use information technology to learn new information. With the power of the Internet, you have access to tons of information that some people pay to receive schooling for. You can search for any subject you would like to know about by entering the subject matter on an Internet search engine, such as Google.com, Yahoo.com, or Bing.com.
- Use information technology to create an online business. Through the Internet, you have access to billions more customers that will never step foot through your doors. If you have a business idea, you can market it online and make information technology work for you.
- Use information technology in your automobile by installing a GPS (Global Positioning System) device. The GPS device will help you to always know your location, even when you are lost. The GPS device can also help track your automobile if you should ever become the victim of auto theft.
- Visit computer-focused retail stores like Microcenter, CompUSA and FRYs. Browse different brands of routers, and compare product specifications and prices. Discuss technicalities and customized usage needs with store consultants and technicians.
- Surf mainstream tech and computing websites. Get the latest information, news and computer router reviews on mainstream tech and computing websites like Zdnet.com, InformationWeek.com, ZiffDavis.com, NetworkWorld.com, ComputerWorld.com and eWeek.com. Download and save articles about computer routers on your computer.
- Search for information in public libraries and bookstores. Browse reference books about computing from public libraries and read articles about routers. Access specialized databases and subscription-based information portals to get articles about computer routers. Check out books on computers and networking from the library. Browse through technology and IT magazines available in public libraries, and read news items and articles about computer routers.
- Subscribe to computer magazines. If you prefer browsing hard copies of computing magazines, then subscribe to two or three magazines like ComputerWorld, PC World, eWeek and InformationWeek to get news and information about routers.
- Divide the elements of language into small, easy to comprehend groups. Some of the elements that you need to learn are cognates, which are words that look the same in different languages. For example, the English word brother and the German word bruder.
- Identify words called connectors, or conjunctions. These words are “and,” “so,” “but” and “or.” These words can connect words, show contrast or offer a choice.
- Identify referents. Referents are words used as a substitute for a noun, or pronouns. Referents are used in speech and the written language so that you do not have to say the item’s or person’s name over and over again. He, she and it are all examples of referents.
- Identify the different parts of speech and memorize prefixes and suffixes. It is vital to be able to identify the different parts of speech, prefixes and suffixes, in order to learn technical English. This will allow you to break down a word and readily identify its meaning. An example of a prefix is hyper-, which means extra or beyond, such as in the word hyperactive. A suffix is found at the end of the word; “-ism” is a suffix that means a belief, such as in the word communism.
- Practice the lexis and grammatical elements by reading a passage and identifying the different parts of speech and elements. Lexis is similar to the word linguistics and involves the base words of the language, without prefixes, suffixes, etc. Pre-reading activities and building a high-frequency vocabulary list are ways to practice technical English.
- Prehistoric cave drawings are considered the first form of human communication. Some early humans dwelt in caves, which provided shelter from the elements and predatory animals. To convey past events of importance, rituals or ideas, cave dwellers would draw pictures on the walls of their homes. Language had not developed to the point at which it was adequate to convey these concepts, so drawings communicated what words could not.
- Written language developed as humans settled into agrarian communities. The switch from hunting-based societies to non-nomadic lifestyles based on agriculture took place roughly 9,000 years ago. Writing became important as humans recognized the need to keep records of property and trade. At first, pictures represented the objects that were being written about. As societies developed further, pictures then represented sounds. Ultimately in the West, the language of pictures gave way to letters, which were graphic representations of particular sounds. Stringing letters together created words.
- For hundreds of years, documents were written by hand, which could be time consuming. The skill of writing was confined to an elite, well-educated class, most of whom were clergy. In the 14th century, block printing became popular. Block printing involved using individual etched wooden blocks to print single words or letters. This process was expensive and inefficient. In 1454, German goldsmith Johannes Gutenberg invented a printing machine that contained movable blocks. Gutenberg’s invention revolutionized book production, making books affordable and accessible.
- The invention of the printing press certainly made it easier to communicate, but it could take days or weeks for the written word to arrive at its destination. Scientists searched for a faster way to transmit information. French scientists developed a communication system that used light to transmit signals in the late 18th century. American inventor Samuel Morse improved this system by creating a machine that transformed speech into electric signals and then into written words. His telegraph became a popular method to communicate quickly.
- The invention of the telegraph was the inspiration for further advances in communication technology. Using the principle behind the telegraph, American inventors Elisha Grey and Alexander Graham Bell transformed speech into an electrical signal. Unlike the telegraph, this electrical signal was transformed back into speech. This invention ultimately became more popular than the idea it was based on, and the telegraph became a thing of the past.
- Computers represented a huge leap in communication technology. Originally, computers were used perform complex mathematical equations. Eventually, scientists realized that computers could be used to communicate as well. The precursor to the Internet was created in 1989, and it allowed scientists to share documents with each other through their computers. It was not long before the Internet became publicly accessible. This technological innovation made communication faster than ever before.
- Download iTunes version 9.2 (see “Resources”.)
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable or other authorized connection. This is the same process that you would typically use for transferring music from your computer to your phone.
- Select your specific phone from the “Device” list on the left side of the screen in iTunes.
- Choose the “Check For Updates” option. iTunes will automatically detect the iOS 4 update and will show up on your screen.
- Select the iOS 4 update, then click “Download and Install” to start the downloading process, which will only take a few minutes.
Why Seniors Need Computer Classes
- Computers increasingly dominate the social landscape. Seniors who can’t use social networking sites, who aren’t adept at emailing or who type very slowly may find themselves isolated, suggests Marek van de Watering, guest lecturer at Gerrit Rietveld Academy in the Netherlands. Those who attempt to use these technologies without basic knowledge may be embarrassed — for example, by posting something on a public forum that is intended for a private conversation. Moreover, not all seniors are retired. Seniors who wish to retain their positions or become promotable, or who want to return to the workplace, need basic computer skills, and may even need more advanced training.
- Seniors who have no prior computer experience or who have been out of the workplace so long that their only computer knowledge involves DOS may need to brush up on basic skills. At minimum, seniors should learn how to type at a decent rate or, if hand dexterity is limited, use voice recognition software, communicate via social networking, email and understand how the Internet works. Education about how to spot a scam, tell when a website contains malware and perform basic word processing is also vital.
- For seniors who already know how to communicate and draft documents with their computers, more complex skills — ranging from using spreadsheets to photo editing to computer programming — may be in order. There’s no need for seniors in this group to enroll in college or take costly classes. Instead, the key is to find a free program or course that teaches the skill needed at a level the senior is prepared to approach. An introduction to Photoshop course, for example, could be ideal for a senior who wants to learn how to edit her personal photos.
Where to Learn
- Public libraries sometimes offer free or low-priced courses in basic computer skills, and continuing education courses at a local community college are also a good bet. Some universities even offer free online classes, but these are best for seniors who already have basic Internet skills. Free MOOCs (or Massive Open Online Courses) are also available through many providers, but are best for seniors who are at least moderately skilled at using the Internet and wish to acquire advanced skills. Private tutors are sometimes willing to help seniors who are uncomfortable attending classes, and retired computer teachers or professors are often good — but more expensive — bets.
Run Windows Update
- Click “Start,” “All Programs” and then “Windows Update.”
- Click “Check for updates.” Wait until the update checking process is complete.
- Click “Custom updates” or “Optional Updates,” and look through the optional windows updates for any DirectX updates.
- Click the checkbox next to any DirectX updates and click “OK” and then “Install” or “Install Now.” You may be able to click “Install” without clicking “OK” first depending on your version of Windows.
Download DirectX Update Installer from Microsoft
- Go to Microsoft’s Direct X web updater (see “Resources”).
- Click the “Download” button. If the download does not start after a few seconds click “Start Download,” on the next page.
- Save the DirectX setup file to your computer. The file name will be something similar to DXwebsetup.exe.
- Run the setup file that you downloaded, accept the license agreement, click “Next,” then click “Next” again, wait as the updater downloads and installs updates from the Internet. Click “Finish” when the update process is complete.
- Have solid credentials. This means both knowledge and formal education. A degree in computer science will be helpful, as well as degrees in related fields of computer technology. Know what systems and software are in common use today, as well as some of the lesser known equivalents. Being able to articulate the range of your knowledge to prospective customers will help to build confidence plus also make it possible to appeal to a wider range of clients.
- Obtain a business license. This is usually not difficult to do. In most jurisdictions, the business license for starting up a service related business such as IT support requires filling out a few forms and paying a fee. Having the business license will provide you with a degree of legitimacy in the local business community and may open some doors as well.
- Set up an office. Even though much of your day will involve site visits to clients to run diagnostics on servers and related components and troubleshooting minor problems, you still need a permanent location with a phone, a desk, and a couple of chairs. The existence of the office, however humble, tells potential clients you are permanent and ill be around for the long haul.
- Acquire your own testing equipment and hardware. This will include portable devices you can use on site, as well as equipment that you keep at the office and use when it is necessary to bring a monitor, hard drive, or server into the office for more detailed work. Also, make sure you have the proper tools to open casings and work with motherboards and other internal components without constantly having to run out to buy something.
- Establish your basic fees. Many IT support businesses offer one to three packages of service for a monthly fee. The packages will specify what your normal and standard services will be each month, as they relate to maintenance, repair, consultations, and other IT related functions. Offering more than one package will make it possible to earn clients with varying ranges of support needs.
- Network in the community. Proactively ask existing customers for recommendations. Join the local chamber of commerce and show up at gatherings. Leave business cards posted on bulletin boards and other places where business cards are routinely collected. Find a few other small business owners in the area who are willing to pass out your cards and contact information in exchange for you returning the favor.
- Visit the “About” page of the Flash section of the adobe.com website.
- Note your version of the Flash software, which is listed to the right of the page’s introductory paragraph. For example, your version may say “You have version 10,2,159,1 installed.”
- Compare your version with the list of player versions in the table at the bottom of the site. If a greater version number than yours is listed for your operating system, an update is available.
- Click the “Player Download Center” link above the list of versions if an update is required. Follow the customized installation instructions for your browser and operating system.
- Click “Start,” and open the “Run” function.
- Type “dxdiag” in the dialog box to launch the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Click “OK.”
- Click “Yes” to test the DirectX files on your system. Note the version of DirectX on your system under the “System Information” section.
- Open your Web browser, and navigate to the DirectX homepage. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Open the “All DirectX Downloads” link. Click the “DirectX End-user Runtime Update” link. Select the “Download,” and run the “dxwebsetup.exe” file.
- Accept the DirectX agreement terms, and click “Next” at the prompts. Click “Finish” at the last prompt to complete the installation. Reboot your system.
- Perform Steps 1 to 3 to ensure you have the latest version of DirectX.
- Visit the BIOS Agent Plus website listed in the Resources section.
- Select “Free BIOS Scan” to download the BIOS Agent Plus software.
- Double-click the file to run the installer program.
- Wait for BIOS Agent Plus to generate a report of your system’s BIOS and drivers.
- Locate the “BIOS” section near the top of the report.
- Press the download button, if available, to download the latest BIOS for your system.
- Follow all instructions provided with your Phoenix-Award BIOS update to update your system.
- Visit the website for Sylvania Support and click on the link for “Download.” Enter the model number of your Blu-Ray player to see the latest firmware update version available for that model.
- Turn on the Sylvania Blu-Ray player, set the TV to the player’s input and press “Setup” on the player’s remote control to open the “Setup” menu. The firmware version currently in use in your player is shown in the upper right-hand corner. If the version shown is older than the one available on the support website, or if no version is shown at all, an update is recommended.
- Click on the link to download the latest firmware update to your computer. Locate the file when download is complete and unzip the contents of the file to a temporary folder. With Windows XP, this will involve clicking on the file, selecting “Extract All” and choosing a location for the temporary folder.
- Open a CD or DVD-burning software program on your computer. Insert a recordable disc of one of the approved formats (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-R or CD-RW) and burn the firmware update to the disc from the file’s temporary location.
- Turn off your Sylvania Blu-Ray player. Press “Open/Close” on the front panel, load the update disc and close the disc tray. You will see the message “Software Upgrade” on the screen and “Update” on the player’s LED display. Select “Yes” on the screen and press “Enter.” You will see the message “Loading Software” on the screen and “CHECKSW” on the LED display.
- Press “Enter,” open the disc tray, remove the update disc and close the tray when you see the message “New upgrade data verified. Please remove the disc and close the tray to continue.” You will see “Upgrading in Progress” on the screen, and the display will show the percentage of installation completed.
- Look for the message “Finished” on the LED display. Unplug the player’s AC cord from the outlet, wait a minimum of 30 seconds and plug the cord back in. Turn the player back on and press “Setup” to confirm that the updated version is shown in the top right-hand corner.